Student halls (Wohnheime)
Every student in the student halls (Wohnheime, see table) has access to the Internet via the data network of the University of Magdeburg. The use of this network is regulated by the data network regulations (in German) of the computer centre and the internal regulations of the Studentenwerk Magdeburg.
Connect your computer with a network cable to the data port in your room. Your computer will then automatically obtain a valid IP address and other important information for accessing the Internet from the DHCP server.
Student halls (Wohnheime)
|Hohepfortestr. 40||Student hall No. 1 / Wohnheim 1|
|J.-G.-Nathusius-Ring 1||Student hall No. 2 / Wohnheim 2|
|J.-G.-Nathusius-Ring 2||Student hall No. 3 / Wohnheim 3|
|Hohepfortestr. 38||Student hall No. 4 / Wohnheim 4|
|J.-G.-Nathusius-Ring 8||Student hall No. 5 / Wohnheim 5|
|J.-G.-Nathusius-Ring 7||Student hall No. 6 / Wohnheim 6|
|J.-G.-Nathusius-Ring 5||Student hall No. 7 / Wohnheim 7|
|Walther-Rathenau-Straße 19||Student hall No. 9 / Wohnheim 9|
|Fermersleber Weg 23||Student hall No. 23 / Wohnheim 23|
|Walther-Rathenau-Straße 55||Student hall No. 10a / Wohnheim 10a|
|Walther-Rathenau-Straße 56||Student hall No. 10b / Wohnheim 10b|
- Ethernet port must be available on the PC
- Connecting cable (RJ45) between PC and data port
- Obtain address from DHCP server
- Browser setting: Direct connection (no proxy)
Problems with access
If there are problems with Internet access, follow these steps:
- Check the connection cable between the data port and the PC port, the cable must click into place audibly on both sides, the plastic tab on the plug must not be broken
- The cable used must be a LAN cable (RJ45, at least Cat 5), no telephone cable may be used.
- The network settings on the computer must be correct (obtain IP address and DNS server automatically)
- Open the command prompt on Windows operating systems: Press the Windows key and R simultaneously and enter cmd in the window
- Enter ipconfig /all in the command prompt, "DHCP enabled" must be "yes", the IP address must be an address in the form 141.44.xxx.xxx (the x stands for any number)
- If a different IP address appears, enter ipconfig /release (the IP address 0.0.0.0 should then be displayed), then call ipconfig /renew (the IP address 141.44.xxx.xxx should now be displayed)
- If the problem still persists, please contact the computer centre: email@example.com
- Socket number to which the computer is connected (label on the socket)
- Since when (date/time) there are problems?
- Which error message?
- Which IP address do you have at this moment (ipconfig)?
- Other problems that could appear:
- Blocking of connections by firewall (deactivate as a test)
- Contamination of the computer with malware
- Blocking the connection due to interference originating from the computer.
- Blocking the connection on the instruction of the Studentenwerk